How to Ensure Your Old Parents Are Taking Covid-19 Pandemic Seriously and How to Make Them Follow Social Distancing?
August 4, 2020
Covid-19 pandemic is one such disease which is affecting millions of people across the world. As we still do not have any vaccines or medicines for it, people are getting infected by this virus. According to the data and statistics 2 group of people are at a higher risk of getting infected, such as old people (in age group 60 years plus) and those with underlying medical conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer or any other respiratory illness. It is therefore important that adults in this age group protect themselves.
As all of us have one such elderly person in our house, so it becomes necessary for us to talk to them about the precautionary measures to be taken to protect themselves. These precautionary steps could be in the form of social distancing, maintaining hygiene and wearing masks. Masks are the most effective way to protect yourself from this virus. One such company that produces protective safety masks is Custom Earth Promos.
It is an eco-friendly company that is based in Delray Beach-Florida, USA. They specialize in manufacturing of reusable custom bags and top-quality masks, made from natural recycled material. However, some of us are facing difficulties with our old parents as they are the ones who are not taking social distancing and hygiene practice seriously. So, how do you make them follow these precautionary steps?
Below are few tips that will help you have an effective and respectful conversation with them:
- Firstly, get your own facts right. Before you talk to your parents make sure you know everything about this virus. Block all those viral videos or messages that spread fake news or reports and also ensure that these elderly people do not get these messages.
- Secondly, make sure that you are the right person to talk to them. Elderly people usually feel they are more experienced than their children. They still see their children as kids. So, making them understand is difficult. In such situation, it is better to make someone they trust to speak to them. This can be your neighbor, your relative or someone they trust. This will make things little better for you.
- Do not talk to them in a controlling tone. Make them understand that you love them and you want them to be safe. This will bring in some trust level.
- It is always better to talk in terms of action rather than just facts. Tell them or show them what you want them to do to protect themselves from this virus. For eg. explain to them how important it is to maintain social distancing. In turn also tell them that by protecting themselves, they will be protecting you too.
- It is always better to talk to your parents or elderly people and ask them reasons what is driving their behavior and listen to their answers. Ensure them that you understand their situation.
Always remember that the more patiently you handle them faster you will make them understand.